Monday, October 25, 2010

Secondary stringers installed.....

Today was a GREAT day with the boat. I got an early start with my Buddies Shawn and Brian with me. The goal today was to get both sides of the secondary stringers installed.

First thing I did was wipe the inside of the boat with acetone. I then dry fit the stringers that I was installing one more time so myself and my friends knew what we where doing. I had a crazy idea to spray the resin instead of rolling it. I figured it would slow down are working time. If I could get everything wet out quick I would have more time to roll and brush all the air out. That said, I have a gel coat dump gun that I used for a few other projects, if it can spray gel it can spray resin. It worked soooooo good. Ok so here are the pics and the steps.

First step is to wet out the underside of the PRISMA preform stringers. This is the most important step. Make sure the entire underside is wet!!! As you can see in this picture that the dump gun sprays the resin very good.

Do the wet out in sections. The performs we are using came in 4ft lenghts. We did two at a time. This seemed to worked well for are 24oz mix of resin. 

Once the underside is wet, flip the stringer over into position and wet out the topside. You want the stringer tabs to be as transparent as they will get. With spraying I used 24oz on each side for a pair. So that's two 4ft sections both sides really wet was 24oz of resin.

Once the first row was wet and in position we started to roll and brush all the air bubbles out.


I just repeated the process for the second row.



That's about the extent of these wonderful preforms. The entire job took us 2 hours. 
First side done.
All done and ready for lunch.













No comments:

Post a Comment